System reboots ~3am during daily periodic 450.status-security run

dgmm freebsd01 at dgmm.net
Mon Dec 2 20:40:15 UTC 2013

On Monday 02 December 2013 08:17:23 cary wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> >>
> >> I've now narrowed it down to:
> >>
> >> /etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid
> >>
> >> ...but have no idea why it might a catastophic crash/reboot.
> >
> > A wild guess: File system damage side effect that is being
> > triggered by something "non-obvious". To make sure this is
> > _not_ the case, reboot into SUM or via live media and perform
> > a forced (!) file system check. Note that just in case you
> > might think "but I run background fsck and preen, that should
> > be sufficient" - it's not; there are few things that only a
> > full, _normal_ file system check can detect and repair.
> >
> > I'm mentioning this because similar situations have been
> > discussed on this list, and finally there was some strange
> > file system defect responsible...
> >
> > But also make sure system power is good, and the system does
> > not become unstable when on load.
>
> Had a 3 a.m. reboot last week.
> /usr was corrupted because of my own
> errors made while compiling ports.
>
> $ fsck -t ufs -fv /dev/{usr-partition}

Thanks both of you.  I now know why the phrase "blindingly obvious" was
coined.

fsck found an error on / and another on /home.
(Yes,I followed the advice in the handbook to not go with seperate /usr and
/var.  I think if I ever rebuild from scratch I'll go back to the old way.)

I've manually  run   /etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid twice without
incident.

This does bring to mind something I'd not previously thought of.  Except for
the rare times I leave a job running overnight, periodic never runs.  I'll
have a to make a decision on what to do about that.  I have a coupleof options
in mind, all of which have ups and downs.

--
Dave