Multiple pkg repositories

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 13:55:55 UTC 2013

On 12/02/13 10:43, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	I see with the pkg-1.2 there is support for using multiple
> repositories. What is not clear is how to control the search order in these
> repositories. I'd like to arrange that my local repository is searched
> first with a fallback to the official repository, primarily so that I can
> avoid compiling some of the monsters like libreoffice, firefox etc. while
> still having packages with my selected options and custom patches where I
> want them.
>
> 	Anyone know if it's possible to set this up reliably ?

Repositories are searched in order of the names of the .conf files in
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos -- not sure how adding /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
into that mix affects things though.  However you can easily test as
it's also the order that repositories are listed in the 'pkg -vv' output.

This was not, as far as I can tell, /intended/ to be the way this sort
of functionality should be controlled, but by happy accident it seems to
work pretty well.  The more sophisticated solvers we're planning on
introducing will probably muddy the waters a bit as far as matching what
the user thinks the preferred repository should be and what pkg(8)
chooses, as it will consider a larger range of factors in order to get a
consistent dependency graph.

You should also be aware of using 'pkg annotate' to force a package to
be installed from a specific repository.  See the section 'WORKING WITH
MULTIPLE REPOSITORIES' in pkg-repository(5).

	Cheers,

	Matthew