Since SquirrelMail Looks Like It Will Never Be Supported Again...

Matthias Petermann matthias at petermann-it.de
Fri Aug 30 21:42:28 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

Am 30.08.2013 23:20, schrieb Tim Daneliuk:
> SquirrelMail seems to be forever on hold because of an incompatibility
> with PHP 5.  So I am going to have to replace it as our Webmail
> interface.
>
> So, I'm looking for recommendation from the tribe here on what I
> should use instead:
>
> 1) Easy to use.  Mostly this gets used by people when they are away
>    from the office and then only occasionally.
>
> 2) It would be really nice if the program could import the
>    Thunderbird Address Book.
>
> 3) Easy to install and maintain.
You might want to take a look at Horde Webmail Edition 5.x [1]. It is
not just Webmail but a comprehensive Groupware, offering Calendar,
Address Book, Task Lists, Wiki and so on. But it can be customized to
only show what you really need. My experience is that it is very easy to
use and can be set up with reasonable effort via ports[2]. The current
version offers ActiveSync, CalDAV, CardDAV for Synchronization with
mobile and desktop clients as well as a nice looking functional Web
Interface.

We use Horde 5.x since ~2 years now and made good experiences with it.

Kind regards,
Matthias

[1] http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail
[2] http://www.freshports.org/deskutils/horde-groupware/