NAT loopback using natd and ipfw

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 22:15:42 UTC 2013

Does anyone know how to get NAT loopback (aka NAT hairpin or NAT
reflection) working with natd and ipfw? It seems to work with the
in-kernel NAT without the need for configuration, but not if you're
using natd.

I have a feeling it may be something do do with the ipfw
"diverted-loopback" test in natd but if I experiment and get it wrong
it's five hours on the motorway for me.

Incidentally, I've set net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass set to 0 but it didn't help.

Thanks, Frank.

(By "NAT loopback" I mean the situation when you're using NAT to
translate one WAN IP to many local LAN IPs (i.e. the usual). If a LAN
machine tries to access the WAN IP, you need NAT to treat it as an
incoming connection and port-forward it as appropriate to a LAN IP as if
the packet had come from the Internet. This is not weird; it's what most
home and small office routers do by default).