Laptop Fn key causes X (Gnome 2) to sleep immediately

Matthias Petermann matthias at d2ux.org
Fri Aug 16 06:34:18 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a Lenovo X121e running Current with X and the Gnome desktop.
Beside other issues[1] there is a strange behavior of Gnome-Desktop (and
GDM too). When I press "Fn" without any additional key, the device
immediately goes to sleep. As the X121e cannot resume properly from
sleep, this forces me to reboot.

This problem appears to be only exist when using Gnome / GDM.
Pure X with TWM doesn't have this issue.

I already tried to re-map the Fn key (I found in some mailing this might
have the keycode 150) to a "less dangerous" key:
$ xmodmap -e "keycode 150 = Delete"
this brought no change.

Has anyone an idea if Gnome re-maps the keys in some way or how I can
disable this? At the moment this is the only blocker to use this Laptop
for daily work, as I tend to accidently touch the Fn key more often than
I want to reboot ;-)

Thanks in advance & kind regards,
Matthias

[1]