texlive and package updating

Nikola Pavlović nzp at riseup.net
Sat Aug 10 16:03:35 UTC 2013

On 09/08/13 18:40, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I've given up on all OS distribution-based TexLive drops.  I install
> texlive manually from their installer and then run tlmgr under
> cron control nightly to keep it up-to-date.  I do this on
> FreeBSD (my primary dev and server platform) as well as all
> linux instances in my environment.  It makes things a lot simpler.

How do you manage dependency tracking errors?  The last time I've
installed it the way you do was on Slackware and since it doesn't do any
dependency tracking there were no problems (as long as the binaries were
in PATH).  I can imagine ports and pkg tools on FreeBSD complaining
about missing TeX packages, and AFAIK Debian based Linux distributions
will certainly complain (I think there is a workaround, but it involves
messing with dpkg).