.sh script code to determine IPv4 or IPv6

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Aug 6 16:48:51 UTC 2013

On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:20 AM, markham breitbach wrote:

> On 13-08-03 8:04 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> Actually, there's /usr/share/bsdconfig/media/tcpip.subr
>>

> I don't seem to have that (FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE).  Where would I get that from?

It's in up-coming 9.2-R (and present 9.2-* snapshots leading up to 9.2-R).

You can snatch a copy of the code by installing sysutils/bsdconfig from the ports tree.

However, the port is marked (correctly-so) as requiring FreeBSD 9.0 or higher.

But don't let that stop you... the only reason it's marked as requiring 9.0 is because 9.0 brings in a new dialog(1) implementation.

However, if you're interested in the TCP validation code... that will work on any release. It's only the dialog(1) stuff that won't work on 8.x or older.

Luckily, it'll be pretty easy to avoid the land-mines. All functions starting with f_dialog_* should be avoided on 8.x or older.

So here's the latest package to download (in case you're unsuccessful in getting the port to behave -- afterall, it may just balk at you for not running 9.x):

	fetch http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig-0.9.0.tbz

That's a FreeBSD package. You can download it and say (as root):

	pkg_add bsdconfig-0.9.0.tbz

Just be forewarned (again), on 8.x or older, executing "bsdconfig" will have widely unexpected results (it won't eat your homework, but it may or may not actually *run*).

However, doing the above 2-step (fetch & pkg_add) will bring in the files you're looking for and give you the functionality you're wanting on 8.x.
--
Devin

P.S. I really *can't* make the dialog(1) stuff backward compatible with 8.x's (or any older's) version of dialog(1). The new `cdialog' variant that was brought into 9.x to replace the aging dialog(1)/libdialog pair is has a *lot* of functionality that I depend on. It could potentially take months to make bsdconfig *fully* backward compatible with 8.x. For now, it's safe if you just use the libraries and avoid any/all functions beginning with "f_dialog_".