hardware monitor

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Sun Aug 4 23:18:06 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 21:48, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a hardware monitor app in the ports tree?
> I've got an amd64 which may have a temperature issue,
> but I can't see it to tell...

Try "sysctl hw.acpi.thermal"

For more information see "man acpi" and man "acpi_thermal". If you're
lucky it gives you information on the ACPI thermal control system, if
you have one.

If you want an alarm based on this, a shell script is easy enough.

If that doesn't do it for you, try some of the others. I've known these
to work (sometimes)

/usr/ports/sysutils/lmmon
/usr/ports/sysutils/consolehm
/usr/ports/sysutils/mbmon

And there are some fun modules you can add to loader.conf (stuff I've
done in the past, but could be on an early version of FreeBSD)

coretemp_load="YES"
smbus_load="YES"
smb_load="YES"
intpm_load="YES"
ichsmb_load="YES"

Then give "sysctl dev.cpu | grep temperature" a try.

If you're worried about your Winchesters getting over-cooked you can use
smartctl, available in /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools. Something like
"smartctl -a /dev/ad?? | grep -i temp" should do the trick. It lets you
mess with the drive SMART (self-diagnositc) system and it can tell you
all sorts of stuff about you drive performance to make you really paranoid.

Regards, Frank.