Make Release

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Thu Aug 1 18:20:38 UTC 2013

On Aug 1, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Amitabh Kant wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:
>> I'm hoping that my very open development documentation on customizing the release(7) process for producing DruidBSD releases can help you out here.
>>
>> I've documented much of the internals of the release(7) process (albeit, relevant to the RELENG_8 release(7) Makefile; in RELENG_9 it's still relevant to /usr/src/release/Makefile.sysinstall ... but I gather that much of the knobs may still exist in HEAD).
>>
>> Have a read through this revision-controlled text file...
>>
>> http://druidbsd.cvs.sf.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/dep/freebsd/patches/README?revision=1.2&view=markup
>>
>> ALSO NOTE: Yes, the file is dated... it talks about cvsup instead of svn. My hope is that the doco can be a good starting point (even if the data is a bit dated).
>>
>> In there, you'll find things like (relevant to RELENG_9):
>>
>> make -f Makefile.sysinstall release \
>>                MAKE="/usr/bin/env CFLAGS=-DDRUID make" \
>>                CHROOTDIR=/usr/release EXTSRCDIR=/usr/src KERNELS_BASE= \
>>                NODOC=YES NO_FLOPPIES=YES NOCDROM=YES NOPORTS=YES \
>>                WORLD_FLAGS=-DWITHOUT_OPENSSL PATCH_FLAGS=-N \
>>                LOCAL_PATCHES=/tmp/druid.patches \
>>                LOCAL_SCRIPT=/tmp/local_script.sh |& tee release.log
>>
>> Take special note of the "LOCAL_SCRIPT=" option.
>>
>> Maybe, just maybe, the bsdinstall-specific release(7) process supports LOCAL_SCRIPT too. If it doesn't... why not?
>> --
>> Devin
>>
>> Devin
>>
>> Do you have any idea if there have an changes to bsdinstall process (on scripting side) in the upcoming 9.2 ?
>>

> [snip]
> Beyond that... ( ok that's enough for this e-mail ).

More includes (for the advanced scripting -- again, tapping into what /usr/share/bsdconfig/script.subr provides), there are sub-directories in /usr/share/bsdconfig (but again, script.subr brings them all in):

media/ -- one file for each type of media (FTP, HTTP, HTTP Proxy, NFS, ... etc.)
networking/ -- scripts for getting, setting, and interactively modifying network
packages/ -- package management
password/ -- root password
startup/ -- rc.conf(5) and startup services
timezone/ -- like tzsetup
usermgmt/ -- user management stuff

Each of those includes a lot of low-level functionality but it's all documented very well.

That being said... there's one more avenue of scripting.

All of the bsdconfig(8) modules that act as front-ends to the above libraries.

Those are in /usr/libexec/bsdconfig -- and you can call those from your bsdinstall ``/etc/installerconf'' too.

# Example A
/usr/libexec/bsdconfig/090.timezone/timezone

However, it's far easier to just say:

# Example B
bsdconfig timezone

For a list of keywords to the modules, say either:

bsdconfig -h

*or*

Peruse the diagram (which is generated by "bsdconfig dot"):

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig-HEAD-20130506-3i.svg

The green parallelograms are the bsdconfig keywords, and the blue rectangles represent the modules (mousing over it will show the /usr/libexec/bsdconfig path in a tooltip).
--
Devin