Firefox is so slow

Mikhail Krutov neko at takino.org
Mon Apr 29 10:16:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:18:57AM +0200, David Demelier wrote:

> Hi,
Hi,

> I used to love firefox in the early days, when I started using Linux
> around 2003-2004. It was so fast. Now it's just amazing how long does
> it take to start.
The ugly fact is that every browser is slow. Except for browsers like dillo,
which are kind of outdated and incompatible with sh*tty "modern" web.
Personally I use xxxterm as a 'firebugs' replacement (e.g. with support for
html5 and other crap) or dillo as a web viewer. Works OK for me.

> On my machine : intel i3 540, 2G of RAM and FreeBSD 9.1 it takes
> around 12 secondes to start. Is it so long for you too?

~ 5 seconds on kinda sligthly better machine;
~ 0.1 seconds if I move ~/.mozilla to tmpfs (which is a kludge and which
sucks)