FreeBSD-update?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Apr 24 19:52:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:34:30 -0500, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>
wrote:

> You have updated to 9.1-RELEASE-p2 - but since there have been no
> kernel changes since 9.1-RELEASE the kernel version message hasn't
> changed.
> This could very reasonably be regarded as bug in the update/version
> reporting process but I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix, as things
> stand
> the version reported only changes when the kernel is updated, or if you
> recompile it after the update.

It would be nice if the version of the OS itself was stored in something
like /etc/freebsd-version so you know what the version of the OS as a
whole is. I'd even accept some sort of output by freebsd-update. It just
seems silly that there's no other way -- kern.osrelease is just the base
release and kern.version is the same thing that uname -a outputs. It's
hard to pick this up and monitor it accurately.