FreeBSD-update?

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:27:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:05:04 +0200, Polytropon wrote:

> The kernel's version message will only change if the _kernel_ has been
> receiving changes. So, for example, if you update from 9.1 to 9.1-p2,
> and _no_ change has been written to the kernel, it will still report
> 9.1, even though the updates for -p2 have been applied to other places
> (like system binaries or libraries).
>
> You can use the -r option to freebsd-update to explicitely specify a
> version to update to. See "man freebsd-update" for details.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused.
--------------------------------------
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.1-RELEASE-p2
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/src world/base world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/doc world/games

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
update5.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
update3.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up