Diskless question

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 24 13:52:12 UTC 2013

On 04/24/13 13:45, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> 2013-04-24 13:21, Arthur Chance skrev:

>>> $su
>>> Sorry
>>>
>>> root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
>>

>> That's not logging in directly as root, that's using su as a normal
>> user. Only members of wheel group can use su. Try logging in directly on
>> the console as root. That should work unless you've marked the console
>> as insecure or have an "impossible" password in /etc/master.passwd.
>
> I am a member of the wheel group.

Curious, I would have expected the su to work. Time for a quick look at
the source.

>> In the long run you need to add your normal user to wheel group so you
>> can use su. Can you edit the diskless machine's /etc/group from the
>> server that's supplying its disk(s)? In the days when I ran diskless
>> systems I usually found it easier to work on the diskless systems'
>> config files via the server.
>>
> I have tried and my own password is easily changed via the server.
>
> if i try, on the diskless,
>
> Login: root
> Password: password or none
>
> Login incorrect

As I mentioned in another post, have you got a valid looking password
field in /etc/master.passwd or just a '*'? Valid fields tend to look
something like $2a$04$<XXX> or $6$<XXX> where <XXX> is a lot of base64
encoded data.

Looking in the source for su there are three places that generate
"Sorry". They all send messages to syslog. Is there a "BAD SU" entry in
your /var/log/auth.log or a PAM related error in /var/log/messages
and/or on the console?

--
In the dungeons of Mordor, Sauron bred Orcs with LOLcats to create a
new race of servants. Called Uruk-Oh-Hai in the Black Speech, they

		_Lord of the Rings 2.0, the Web Edition_