Diskless question

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 24 13:39:04 UTC 2013

On 04/24/13 14:07, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Bernt Hansson <bah at bananmonarki.se> writes:

>>> How did it say no? What does the entry for root in /etc/passwd say?
>>
>> $su
>> Sorry
>>
>> root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
>         ^
>        / \
>
> Root has no valid password.
>
> You'll need to go into single-user mode and either give it one or
> install sudo and add your regular user to the sudoers file.

No, that's from /etc/passwd which never shows any real password
information. The true password field is in /etc/master.passwd and I'm
not going to ask anyone to show that here. However, the OP should check
it's got a valid looking field value rather than just a '*'

--
In the dungeons of Mordor, Sauron bred Orcs with LOLcats to create a
new race of servants. Called Uruk-Oh-Hai in the Black Speech, they

		_Lord of the Rings 2.0, the Web Edition_