restore /usr dump on two hard disk parallel y

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Apr 24 12:16:16 UTC 2013

s m <sam.gh1986 at gmail.com> writes:

> i'm trying to restore DUMP file for partition /usr on tow hard disk
> parallel y. these two hard are connected to my system (i have freebsd8.2).
> i use  restore command and it uses /tmp directory to restore dump. in
> restoring dump process, two hard disks try to use /tmp directory of my
> system. therefore conflict happened and restore command return error.
> i try to use TMPDIR and define another tmp directory for one of my hard
> disk but it does not identify it and use my system tmp directory yet.
> please let me know if using TMPDIR is a good idea and how i can use it. if
> not, how i can restore /usr dump file on two hard disk parallel y?

What do you want to do exactly?

Do you want both disks together to be your new /usr/partition? In that
case, you want to set up some kind of RAID system with the two
disks. Start with the GEOM section in the handbook.

Do you want to end up with two partitions, each holding part of what the
/usr backup contains?  If that's what you're after, then the best
approach is probably to pick one subdirectory of /usr (/usr/local would
be an obvious choice) and restore everything *but* that to one of your
disks, then mount the other disk on the subdirectory and restore the
rest onto there.

If your problem is just that the two restore operations are stepping on
each other's temporary files, then TMPDIR *should* take care of
that. You could show us more detail of how you run the restore
operations, or just run them one at a time instead of in parallel.

I hope that helps.