Thunderbird MCD/Autoconfig - functions not working?

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Apr 23 10:04:56 UTC 2013

Quick question guys - anyone using the autoconfig feature of Thunderbird
out there? I might have to either create something or add something to
something else that will actually do the same job otherwise.

I decided to give it a go and see if it might save some work on
deployment, but the getent function simply doesn't work. I've submitted
a bug report due to lack of support from mozilla themselves, but I
thought I might check if anyone might be using it with the current
Thunderbird.

To get it running I:
created an all.js with the general.config entries under the
defaults/pref directory.
created a thunderbird.cfg under thunderbird lib directory with a url
redirect to a server using getent to obtain the username. It is set to
refresh every hour (atm).

What I get:
Thunderbird starts and asks for account setup. (or an error message if I
set it)
with the NSPR_LOG variables set I can see it failed to retrieve the
config with a http error.
the server logs indicate Thunderbird attempted to retrieve the file but
failed to offer a user so the filename requested is incomplete.

Given the rather interesting background of this feature it might simply
be a case of wysiwyg- and lucky for that; but I thought I'd query the
vast resources here JIC.

Cheers