sata/ata device permission for user

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 18 19:21:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 03:41:11 -0700 (PDT), Beeblebrox wrote:
> >> But the group permissions are --- (none).
> D'oh!
> Well, that made a difference and I can query the cd0 device with cdda2wav as
> my user now.
>
> I still can't mount a data CD however.

You need write access to the cd, pass and xpt devices.
You also need to _own_ the mount target directory. If
you try something temporary within your home directory,
it should always work:

	% cd
	% mkdir mnttest
	% mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 mnttest

If you intend to mount below /media or into /cdrom or
/dvd, you need to set the proper owner. If you are
using X with the GiveConsole and TakeConsole script.
Then you can do things like this:

	% mount /media/dvd

given that all the over information is preprogrammed
in /etc/fstab.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany