scripting zfs send & receive, but the script never exits cleanly

Brian Gold bgold at simons-rock.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:45:20 UTC 2013

Hi all. Quick question for you. I've got a pair of freebsd 9 systems running
zfs. i've got my primary system doing ZFS SEND each night to my secondary
system for backups. I'm using a script I wrote to automate the process. I'm
passing the zfs send & receive through gnetcat as a buffer which increases
the speed of the transfer quite a bit. The script is available here:
http://pastebin.com/2suzs3wP

My problem is, when I run this script it syncs just fine, but it never
actually ends. It just sits there until I kill it. I would love to have this
run as a scheduled cron job, but until I can get this to exit cleanly when
it is done, that won't be an option.

Here is the output I get when I run this: http://pastebin.com/q8hRzuVv

Would really appreciate any advice you may have. If anyone has a
cleaner/more efficient way of doing these incremental send/receives, that
would be great too.

Thanks,

Brian