sata/ata device permission for user

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Thu Apr 18 07:32:11 UTC 2013

>> The user also needs access to the corresponding pass device which is shown
by "camcontrol devlist". He also needs access to /dev/xpt0 I think.

<HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4165B DL05>   at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass3)

crw-------  1 root  operator  0x48 Apr 18 07:08 pass0
crw-------  1 root  operator  0x49 Apr 18 07:08 pass1
crw-------  1 root  operator  0x4a Apr 18 07:08 pass2
crw-------  1 root  operator  0x4b Apr 18 07:08 pass3
crw-------  1 root  operator  0x42 Apr 18 07:08 xpt0

User is member of operator group. However, I agree with your idea because
just now I was working with cdrtools and got this error, but when I ran as
root no error:

% cdda2wav summary --device /dev/cd0
cdda2wav: Permission denied. Open of /dev/xpt0 failed. Cannot open or use
SCSI driver.
cdda2wav: For possible targets try 'cdda2wav -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
Probably you did not define your SCSI device.
Set the CDDA_DEVICE environment variable or use the -D option.

Regards.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel