Bad kernel with make -j?

andreas scherrer ascherrer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:44:46 UTC 2013

on 17.4.13 21:18  Brett Glass said the following:
> I've just had to resurrect a machine which apparently failed because the
> kernel was built with the make -j option.

[snip]

> The result was a kernel in which some compiled-in modules -- in
> particular, netgraph nodes -- weren't accessible. mpd5 began spewing odd
> messages, and VPN connections would not come up. I'd built the kernel
> with the NO_MODULES option, so the modules that were missing couldn't be
> loaded dynamically.
>
> Rebuilding the kernel using a single-threaded "make" solved the problem.

I am not very experienced but I stumbled over the following note in
/usr/src/UPDATING before:

    Avoid using make -j when upgrading.  While generally safe, there are
    sometimes problems using -j to upgrade.  If your upgrade fails with
    -j, please try again without -j.  From time to time in the past
    there have been problems using -j with buildworld and/or
    installworld.  This is especially true when upgrading between
    "distant" versions (eg one that cross a major release boundary or
    several minor releases, or when several months have passed on the
    -current branch).

Maybe that's a hint?