FreeBSD fstab Entry for Windows Share

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Apr 16 19:53:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:28:33 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Your message has supplied important information .

As I said, I did obtain it from a system that _has been working_
in that regards. :-)

> When their equivalent values are entered , they worked :
>

> "WINPC" : NetBIOS_NAME_in_Windows
> workgroup : Work_Group_NAME_in_Windows
> "Administrator" : user_name_in_Windows_Administrators
> F$ : Share_Name_in_Windows
>

> With the above values :
>
> /etc/nsmb.conf :
>
> -----------------------------
>

> [default]
> Workgroup=Work_Group_NAME_in_Windows
>
> [NetBIOS_NAME_in_Windows]
> addr=192.168.10.25
>
> -----------------------------
>
> The following values are NOT required ( they are not taken into
> consideration ) :
>
>         [WINPC:Administrator]
>         password=MYTOPSECRETPASSWORD
>
> During boot , the password is asked .

If this case of interactivity at system startup is _not_ intended,
the information (username, password) can be obtained from the
/etc/nsmb.conf file. It's important to pay attention to the file
permissions.

> /etc/fstab :

> //user_name_in_Windows_Administrators at NetBIOS_NAME_in_Windows/Share_Name_in_Windows
> /mnt smbfs  rw 0  0

You could possibly add the "late" option ("rw,auto,late") so in
case of network problems, the boot process won't stop at the
early stage ("fstab error").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany