dvd recorder & audio cd problems

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Tue Apr 16 17:16:31 UTC 2013

Hi,

>> Regarding audio playback via cdcontrol ... requires a seperate internal
>> wiring (CD audio wire) to the sound card.

Thanks: Using an older dvd drive, so that's probably the problem. On my
linux I once had that cable to the mobo.

>> on FreeBSD 8 you would have something like this in your kernel
>> configuration:    # ATA and ATAPI devices

You seem to be using 8.* while I am on 10-current (info provided in my
signature). Unfortunately there are a number of important hardware driver
changes between 8-9-10. these are the only options allowed:
# ATA controllers
device		ahci		# AHCI-compatible SATA controllers
device		ata		# Legacy ATA/SATA controllers
# ATA/SCSI peripherals
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for ATA/SCSI)
device		ch		# SCSI media changers
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
device		cd		# CD
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct ATA/SCSI access)
device		ses		# Enclosure Services (SES and SAF-TE)
#device		ctl		# CAM Target Layer

In GENERIC, 'option  ctl' is disabled because pulling in any one of the
da/cd/pass etc also enables/calls ctl.
For the same reason, '# atacontrol list ' =>
ATA_CAM option is enabled in kernel. Please use camcontrol instead.

$ ll /dev/cam =>
crw-------  1 root  operator  0x3f Apr 16 19:36 ctl
So it seems, after playing around that 'acd_' is deprecated in 10.

As to why /dev/cd0 does not show up in Brasero, it is probably related to my
other thread on user-level permissions. Since my user cannot mount the cd0,
brasero has not enabled access to it (problem valid for all GUI-based-apps
unless root starts running a GUI)

Regards.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 & xorg.devel