EC2 Instances Future

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Apr 10 20:04:40 UTC 2013

I still follow Colin's original pattern of using a minimal "Linux"
grub boot EBS device (1GB), ext2fs, with the root partition being on
another  (ufs2) EBS device.  This works very well, with a couple of
caveats -

- Install e2fsprogs (pkg or port) - you will need it, on occasion when
modifying the boot device (after mounting rw).

- Kernel upgrades are tricky, so be careful

- Edit /etc/freebsd-update.conf intelligently to prevent unintended consequences

Apart from that, I have been running i386 and amd64 instances this
way, both 8.3 and 9.1, without difficulty (apart from some Xen clock
weirdness in 8.3).

No Windoze Tax. ;-)

- M