Power switch not working

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Tue Apr 9 12:49:10 UTC 2013

Polytropon writes:

>  > Somebody is always coming up with something new that will
>  > inevitably force me to spend money, buing new hardware, despite
>  > all my resistance.
>
>  I cannot wait to participate in this wonderful experience
>  that keeps the "throw away society" alive (and enable us
>  to buy cheaper and more powerful stuff, on the other hand).
>  How will I be going to have a video feed from a VCR when
>  I cannot plug in my fully working and excellently supported
>  PCI TV card (with video input) anywhere?

	"... a VCR ..."?   How ... Devonian.   :-)

>									 It's hard to keep
>  doing "the same" over the period of time the equipment will
>  work. Okay, no problem if you need to to "something new"
>  (which requires more power, more storage or faster speed),
>  but if that's not the case, the wheel keeps being reinvented.
>  What has been old will be new, except it comes in shiny new
>  marketing mumbo-jumbo to convince us. :-)

	There are still graphics cards out there that also function as
TV tuner/input/output.  But it is increasingly a niche market, just
like external modems (or modems in general), and probably few are
being made for something as ... experienced ... as plain PCI.
	I might even have one stuck in my old parts stash ....

					Robert Huff