Youtube & Flash Videos broken?

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 00:50:32 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 11:03, Harald Weis <hawei at free.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 12:09:32AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>
>  > If it's just about YouTube video, why not use youtube-dl and
>  > mplayer? I haven't tested it for those particular two videos,
>  > but it tends to work for everything. :-)
>
> Can you please help me how to find the right URLs for youtube-dl ?
>
> For example on
> http://www.youtube.com/user/ConcertosLive/videos
>
> When I copy URLs with mouse in opera I always get
> "youtube-dl: No match."
>
> (opera and flash work fine for playing and also for downloading the
> the ogg file)
>
> I definitely prefer the command line tool.
> Getting rid of flash would be a tremendous relief.

youtube_dl works fine with just the video id, as in:
% youtube_dl -c --restrict-filenames -o '%(title)s.%(id)s.%(ext)s'
"De6ejDbIcOM"
to download http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6ejDbIcOM
(though the full url works, as well)

You may want to set --max-quality 45 (or 46)* to avoid downloading a
½GB 3072p video (as with some of the HD stuff) since youtube_dl
defaults to the highest quality available.

*quo vide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube