Power switch not working

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Apr 7 03:52:02 UTC 2013

So, um, I just "upgraded" my main system.  Maybe that is too weak a word.
I cannibalized the drives and most of the add-in cards out of my old
system and put them into a new system I built which has a new case,
new motherboard, new CPU, new memory, and a new video card.

So far everything seems to be mostly peachy, but there are a few
oddities.  Specifically, vlc has stopped working (which probably has
something to do with dri/dri2 and my new video card and my new
xorg.conf file) and the Google home page isn't showing the usual
list of things along the top when I view it in firefox anymore
(but strangely, still does when I view it in opera).

I'll be attending to those thing, but for now I'd just like to know
why, when I do "shutdown -h now" and then let the system come down to
the point where it says "Press any key to reboot" pressing the power
switch at that point no longer causes the system to actually power down.
If fact it does nothing.

I'm guessing that this relates to some BIOS setting that I need to diddle,
but which one?  Something to do with ACPI?

I'm ignorant about this stuff.  Guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.   I *did* hook up the case power switch correctly.  It does do the
Right Thing when I'm just in the BIOS.  But running FreeBSD seems to
cause it (the case power switch) to be ignored.