State of Packages

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Thu Apr 4 20:42:32 UTC 2013

On 4 Apr 2013, at 21:21, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 4/4/2013 1:57 PM, doug at safeport.com wrote:
>> Its seems certain that pkg_add is not [going to] be[ing] restored.
>
> Progress is being made on providing pkg_add and pkgng packages again.
> They will come back.

For those who might be interested in an interim solution, we've set up
an unofficial but public pkgng format repository at

http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng

To use these packages, just set your PACKAGESITE variable in
/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf like so,

PACKAGESITE	 : http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng/${ABI}/latest

These have FreeBSD 8, 9 and 10, i386 and amd64 kernel pkgng format packages
for the whole ports tree, build failures notwithstanding.

You'll have to explicitly make the decision to trust or not these
builds, of course, but all are welcome to use them until the official
ones are available.

- Mark