Regarding zfs send / receive

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Tue Apr 2 12:40:19 UTC 2013

On 2. apr. 2013, at 13.44, Joar Jegleim wrote:
> So my question(s) to the list would be:
> In my setup have I taken the use case for zfs send / receive too far
> (?) as in, it's not meant for this kind of syncing and this often, so
> there's actually nothing 'wrong'.

I'm not sure if you've taken it too far, but I'm not entirely sure if you're getting any advantage over using rsync or similar for this kind of thing.

First two things that spring to mind:

Do you have any legacy stuff on the receiving machine?  Things like physically removed old zpools, that are still in zpool.cache, seems to slow down various operations, including creation of new stuffs (such as the snapshots you receive).

Also, you don't mention if you're deleting old snapshots on the receiving end?  If you're doing an incremental run every 15 minutes, that's something like 3000 snapshots pr. month, pr. filesystem.

Terje