Problems with IPFW causing failed DNS and FTP sessions

Don O'Neil lists at lizardhill.com
Mon Apr 1 18:04:48 UTC 2013

My DNS config is pretty generic. I did try putting in the options to stop
recursive lookups, but all that did was cause even more failures (permission
denied lookups, etc...), so I removed that.

Here's my basic config;

options {
        directory       "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";

};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

I'm not sure the problem is specific to named, but something more systemic
with IPFW.... like I said, FTP sessions are timing out as well, and when I
turn off IPFW that fixes that problem too.

Is there any way to monitor what IPFW is dropping, by some sort of counters
rather than logging everything, and see what's going on internally to IPFW?

Thanks!