Problems with IPFW causing failed DNS and FTP sessions

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Mon Apr 1 04:59:06 UTC 2013

I'll give you a more cogent reply tomorrow - if you use keep-state
rules, you want to be a little more specific - for tcp, you want
"allow tcp from X to Y setup keep-state" - i.e. you start the stateful
rule on packets that have the SYN flag set.  There are some other
oddities here - I'm guessing that the firewall rules are there to
protect this box itself...  in which case your stateful rules really
need only to consider "outbound" traffic, and to allow replies.  Let
me know if that assumption is erroneous.  More later.  Time for ZZZZ

- M