gpart

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Mon Apr 1 01:36:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am in the midst of setting up the framework for new servers using FreeBSD
9.1. I used the bsdinstall and Manual`` option when setting up the disk
geometry using GPT - graphical setup.

The idea will be to eventually dump the 4 file systems, (/, /usr /var and
/home) and restore them on other servers when the time comes.

I am reading everything there is about GPT at this point as I have never
used it before. It seems gpart is the tool to use.

I have done several test runs setting the drive geometry using this as a
guide:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Which worked well. But as yet I do not have dumps to test with.

I was wondering in anyone sees any issues creating the drive geometry using
this method, with the intent of restoring dumped filesystems to to,
including the root filesystem.

I am yet to use 9.1 to do so, so any tips would be appreciated.

-G