a wireless network freezes the machine?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Fri Sep 28 16:51:10 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE,
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xfe400000-0xfe40ffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci7
ath0: AR2413 mac 7.9 RF2413 phy 4.5

I have run this box for a long time as a WiFi access point for my
home laptops and smartphones and never had a problem, the config was:

# Wi-Fi setup
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
hostapd_enable="YES"

However several days ago I had to run the box as a WiFi client, with

ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP WPA"
hostapd_enable="NO"

and it began to freeze frequently. It freezes very hard, only the
reset button helps.

Is it possible that wpa_supplicant or some other part of the WiFi
setup causes the hangs? Nothing else has changed in the system besides
its role from the access point to a WiFi client.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru