Change in /etc/rc.d/namend script

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Tue Sep 25 10:49:55 UTC 2012

[ Olivier Nicole wrote on Tue 25.Sep'12 at 11:39:37 +0700 ]

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I upgraded my DNS server from 7.2 to 8.3 and has the
> unpleasant suprise to find that named would not restart after the
> upgrade.
>
> I think I traced it back to the new /etc/rc.d/named script.
>
> I am runing in named in a chrooted environment and it seems that with
> the new script the configuration file must exist in /etc/namedb as
> well as in /chroot/etc/namedb.
>
> Having to duplicate the configuration files to the not chrooted
> environment is something new. With the /etc/rc.d/named script
> 1.22.2.3.4.1 2008/10/02 that was not needed, and I don't see why it
> would be needed now.
>
> Is there a way to run the new startup script without duplicating (not
> even symlinking) the configuration?

In you /etc/namedb/named.conf have you specified your zone files using full path names, such as:

	zone "kode5.net" {
			type master;
			file "/etc/namedb/master/kode5.net.db";
	};

Using relative paths for your zone files will not work any more. Perhaps this could help?