What replaces csup?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Sep 18 03:15:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Robert Huff wrote:

> Paul Schmehl writes:
>
>>  Does csup use subversion now?  Or do we need to use something
>>  else to fetch source?
>
> 	As I understand it, for the average user c(vs)up and subversion
> serve the same function using different methods (both in terms of
> identifying what files need to be fetched and actually fetching
> them).  At this level of discussion they are mutually exclusive.
> 	I have switched from csup to subversion for ports and docs.
> After modest preparation it was essentially painless.

The difference is that a local svn checkout has all the commit history.
A comparison recently showed 700-some megabytes more space used by the
svn checkout.

csup updates just the files that have changed without all the overhead.
svn export can get a copy of all the current files, but it copies all of
them every time, not just the changes.

An svnup program was under development, but I don't know the present
status.