Minecraft sound (ALSA)

Stephan Schindel sts at tp1.rub.de
Fri Sep 14 15:46:00 UTC 2012

Hey guys!
I would like to play Minecraft on my FreeBSD box, so I installed
games/minecraft-client. It starts, but I do not have any sound. The
reason for that is that Minecraft uses ALSA and ALSA does not find any
soundcards:

    Starting up SoundSystem...
    Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
         (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see
    http://www.lwjgl.org)
    AL lib: alsa.c:960: no playback cards found...
    AL lib: alsa.c:1017: no capture cards found...
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
    snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory

I am not sure what to do here and how to wrap my OSS system in an ALSA
system. I installed audio/alsa-lib, audio/alsa-plugins and
audio/alsa-utils. My asoundrc looks like this at the moment:

    pcm.oss {
         type oss
         device /dev/dsp
    }

However I cannot play any MP3s via aplay. Do you have any ideas?

Stephan