Binding IP adress to opensmtpd

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Wed Sep 12 09:46:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 01:20:47PM +0000, C. L. Martinez typed:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:10:51PM +0200, carlopmart typed:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>  I have installed opensmtpd on my FreeBSD 8.3. All works ok, except I
> >> can't bind smtpd to specific IP address ... In this box, I am using 3 ip
> >> aliases, but smtpd sends all emails using the first IP.
> >>
> >>  Is it possible to configure this?? I have tried to fix with hostname
> >> option, without result ...
> >
> > You could run smtpd inside a jail(8) with that IP address.
> >
> > --
>
> Yes it is an option, but too fat option ... This is a vm under ESXi
> with only 512 MB RAM ...

What do you mean, fat? You can jail <only> the smtpd process, using the
same / for root filesystem. Something like

jail / <hostname> <specific IP> /path/to/smtpd

instead of your normal startup command. This is as lean and mean as it gets.

Ruben