kinternet alternative in FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Sep 11 13:26:41 UTC 2012

El día Tuesday, September 11, 2012 a las 02:56:07PM +0200, Polytropon escribió:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:15:50 +0200, suseuser04 at lajt.hu wrote:
> > Hello FreeBSD users:
> >
> > I am new to FreeBSD. I've been using openSUSE for 8 years but would
> > like to try something different.
> > I have installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE from DVD and configured
> > KDE3. I also configured DSL (pppoe) connection that automatically
> > connects the computer to the network.
> > In openSUSE I have kinternet (and its alternative qinternet), an application
> > which incorporates into KDE system tray and indicates whether network
> > connection is active or not. It can also be used by the desktop user to
> > disconnect and connect from/to the network (eg. for getting new dynamic
> > IP address or test downloaded web pages offline).
> > Is there a similar program in FreeBSD? I could not find kinternet or qinternet
> > in ports database or by googling.
>
> I'm not aware of a tool that integrates both with KDE _and_
> the FreeBSD operating system. KDE is quite Linux-centric,
> and FreeBSD is a different operating system. ...

FreeBSD (as Linux) is a OS, while KDE is just a desktop which works fine
on FreeBSD and SuSE; I'm using kde-3.5.10 and tested kde-4.x (which
did not do what I expected; that's why I stay with 3.5.10 which is now
unmaintained, but still compiling as a port;

the OP did not say in which KDE version he used 'kinternet',  but it
seems that the component is not in the port; the best way would be to
check in openSUSE what 'kinternet' is (i.e. where the sources come from)
and check in the FreeBSD KDE project the status of a port;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: guru at unixarea.de     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail