trouble building 'ndis' device driver into stripped-down custom kernel.

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Sep 11 08:17:53 UTC 2012

Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Robert Bonomi
> <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>wrote:
>

> > Enviorment is FreeBSD 8.3,  i386
> >
> > I'm currently running a stipped-down custom kernal with all superfluous
> > devices/options removed.
> >
> > I'm trying to add the 'ndis' device back in, but when I follow the
> > directions on the ndis(4) manpage, and add:
> >     options NDISAPI device  ndis and try to re-compile the kernel
> >     (config, cd, make depend, make), linking fails, with:
> >     if_ndis.o(.text+0x1104): In function 'ndis_detach':
> >     : undefined reference to 'ndis_free_amem'
> >     if_ndis.o(.text+0x1194): In function 'ndis_attach':
> >     : undefined reference to 'ndis_alloc_amem'
> >
> > Obviously, the config file is missing 'something'  -- does anybody have
> > any ideat _what_ that something is?
> >

> It seems you need
>
> device pccard
>
> and whatever that depends upon if anything.

This was also pointed out to me privately by another respondant.

Adding just  'device pccard'  did solve the problem.

I've filed a bug report on the code in question -- the _run-time_ check
for a PCMCIA/Cardbus/PC-card device should be bracketed with a COMPILE-TIME
check for pccard support in the kernel.