Removing UFS label from root

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 00:47:45 UTC 2012

I added a label to my root fs some time ago. I really prefer the gpt
label and I have added it, but I can't figure out how to remove the
ufs label.

I boot single user and run 'tunefs -L "" /dev/ada1p2' but I get an
"unable to write superblock" error. This is before mounting the drive
RW, but it is, of course, mounted RO. I tried setting the "allow
foot-shooting" debug flag, but it did not help.

Is my only hope to boot a live system? (I have no CD, so I guess I
could try a a thumb drive.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com