ports

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 04:40:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Виталий Туровец <corebug at corebug.net> wrote:

> 2012/9/9 Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com>:

> >> I assume it's better to ask PBI-related questions in PC-BSD's
> >> web forum as those are not exactly "native FreeBSD things".
> >>

> >> --
> >> Polytropon
> >> Magdeburg, Germany
> >> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> >> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
> >>

> > I'm not sure how building PBI files is going to help with your 135G of
> > files from Russia that won't seem to fit on your drive, however there is
> > some pbi software in ports for you to check out..
> >
> > ports-mgmt/pbi-manager
> > sysutils/pbimaker
> > x11-fm/pbi-thumbnailer
> > sysutils/easypbi
> >

> > I've experimented a bit with the software on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT and
> > PC-BSD 9 machine - but I'm not an authority on the subject ;-) ... pbi
> > could prove to be a good way to test out stuff that needs newer glib,
> gtk,
> > etc, to avoid royally dorking up your system, like for example GIMP
> > development sources from cvs, as an alternative to building in a jail and
> > running the display through an X 'remote' connection.
> >

> > Here's a wiki page i found to be a good reference.
> >
> > http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PBI_Module_Builder_Guide
> >
> > Waitman Gobble
> > San Jose California
>
> Sorry for offtopic, but for Ivan to know three things:
> 1) building software (and/or packaging it using PBI/tbz) is WAY more
> complicated then just downloading distfiles from some mirror.

> 2) PC-BSD is BASED on but not EQUAL to FreeBSD and has it's own
> mailing lists which can easily be found here -
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo . Please do not think i'm
> trying to be rude or get rid of new member, but sometimes one needs to
> know the better way to find necessary information.
>

> 3) PC-BSD is based on FreeBSD since this deep knowledge of it
> basically (i suppose) should begin with FreeBSD's Handbook which
> carefully explains what ports are and how to use them. This page is a
> good start (it's in Russian ;) )
> -http://www.freebsd.org/doc/ru_RU.KOI8-R/books/handbook/ . Ports
> specific information can be easily found here -
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/ru_RU.KOI8-R/books/handbook/ports.html
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
>

> ~~~
> WBR,
> Vitaliy Turovets
> Systems Administrator
> Corebug.Net
> +38(093)265-70-55
> VITU-RIPE

I have installed PC-BSD on a netbook. I have not played around on it a
whole bunch, so I'm definitely not an expert. They really did a good job
with it, PC-BSD has a more compelling visual experience. For a novice
computer user it's a great way to have the experience of true Unix without
ending up resorting to angry language on the mailing lists. For more
experienced users it seems like it would be a robust platform for such as
scientific research, medical systems developers, manufacturing control,
process coordination and shop floor machine operation.

On my Eee Pc Netbook I had some difficulty with the X configuration tool,
which must be run in order to launch the desktop. I chose to install the
Xfce desktop suite of the several choices available in the selection. The
prompt display was pristine, yet the X test suffered some malfunction no
matter which setting I tried. When I was able to launch the desktop, the
display was off kilter and extremely difficult to navigate. This obstacle
was overcome by manually updating the X configuration file. There are
numerous resources available online for troubleshooting these kinds of
problems.

The system seems to be solid, so I'd be surprised if it offers the thrill
of compiling your own operating system. But there are compiling tools
available so one could presumably pull the source and do a build.

Building a PBI package does indeed seem to be much more involved than
making a package. A package build is straightforward and takes little
effort to create a Makefile in the case that your intended software does
not happen to already be in the ports collection. Also, the package system
offers a way to easily synchronize software updates across many machines.
After a package is built and verified on one machine it can
be rapidly transferred to machines in a large global cluster. I found the
idea intriguing as a method of creating 'system-safe' packages of
bleeding-edge development snapshots for experimentation.

The PBI requires more configuration, and as I understand creates larger
distribution files. However, the PBI package is designed to run
self-contained. Libraries which are not part of the standard system are
compacted into the PBI package, and are installed within the PBI
application jail. This could lend to increased application security, since
system files cannot be updated from the PBI install. A package system may
have full control of the system files.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California