FreeBSD Install Problem

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Sat Sep 8 07:40:45 UTC 2012

Not saying your suggestion won't work but…

The last time I had to flip the SATA mode in a BIOS to Compatibility (sometimes labeled "Legacy" or "IDE" mode) was when I was installing FreeBSD-4.11 on an Intel S5000PSL/R.

I don't think I've come across a machine that required me to change the SATA mode before installing FreeBSD 9.

The OP may have said he tried sysinstall approaches but unless he specifically said he tried Druid, it actually implies he was comparing FreeBSD 8 media to FreeBSD 9's. This is naturally not a fair fight because both install media are using different kernels.

That's why I recommend that you try a sysinstall based installer that's actually built from/for 9.0-RELEASE. It will boot with a 9.0 kernel and use sysinstall to automatically set up the system.

Trying FreeBSD Druid will put the two installers (sysinstall v bsdinstall) on the same ground using the same kernel, so we'll be able to tell if its your hardware or the installer.
--
Devin