FreeBSD in finance sector

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 7 18:17:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:55:49 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of any financial firms or banks that run FreeBSD?
>
> I have been instructed to research this for the firm I work at as I am
> trying to get the senior management to switch over from Linux as our
> current network is in shambles.

There is a good chance that networking equipment they use
(e. g. firewalls, routers, gateways, encryption appliances)
run FreeBSD internally, or a system derived from it and
turned into closed source (which the BSD license explicitely
allows). Probably you won't have a chance to verify this.

For running actual services (not sure _what_ you are running),
FreeBSD might be as good as Linux, maybe even better. It can
also serve as storage solution or networking subsystem for
various kinds of "client OSes".

Probably banks won't tell you what they run. Some run IBM
mainframe systems (which you can "recognize" when looking
at screens you're not supposed to look at). Any information
more precise than just my assumptions can only be provided
by insiders or service contractors who know the actual
infrastructures. Banks and financial firms tend to _not_
publish what they run.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany