Firefox install problem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 5 12:25:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:25:57 -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:
> "Selectively updating ports is not supported".  Then I must wonder why do
> we have the option to put "ports-{$port}" inside the supfile, and not a
> mandatory ports-all.

The reason is that you can safely ignore port categories for
languages and topics you're intendedly not going to use. I'm
using this approach here myself, but I include categories
that _might_ contain components that are dependencies for
other (more obvious) dependencies or programs.

So for example, if you omit ports-german, you should be fine
if you're not installing anything for that language. This
kind of selection is easy. Avoiding other categories can
be problematic when a "less obvious" dependency is requested
from such a category, e. g. a library in ports-astronomy for
some dependency for a library used in a component of a some
gadget for the KDE desktop. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany