VirtualBox Guest Addons

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 31 12:47:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:58:54 +1100, Lachlan Holmes wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> If you can help 'd really appreciate it.
>
> I have a 9.0 release 64bit freebsd. I've done a Portsnap fetch extract and
> freebsd-update.
>
> I can't get virtualbox-ose-additions to install I get this error message.
>

> # make install clean
> ===> virtualbox-ose-additions-4.1.22 requires kernel sources.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose-addtions
> #

The error message indicates that you are missing the kernel
sources. Obtain /usr/src from the installation media (the
"src" distribution), via SVN or CVS, or by FTP, and retry.

It can be found here:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/9.0-RELEASE/src.txz

Just extract it into the mentioned location.

> But I'm new to bsd and and I don't understand how I downloaded the "patch"
> and then rebuild the "system" and then redo the install process.

As far as I remember, it's not needed to manually patch
anything. On how to configure and install a custom kernel
and the operating system, refer to The FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Also refer to the comment header of /usr/src/Makefile.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany