No sound from speaker, using Realtek ALC269 and snd_hda

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 29 16:46:52 UTC 2012

On 29.10.2012 18:35, Big Yuuta wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Pin sensing works fine. I tested it and whenever I plug the headphone in,
>>> I can hear the sound from the headphone, and I have this output
>>> on the console:
>>>
>>> hdaa0: Pin sense: nid=26 sence=0x80000000 (connected)
>>> pcm0: Redirect output to: headphones
>>> hdaa0: Pin sense: nid=26 sence=0x00000000 (disconnected)
>>> pcm0: Redirect output to: main
>>>
>>> I think the redirection works, but nid20 is not well set? Is "main" here
>>> the 1st nid of the association? i.e. nid20 which has seq=0?
>>

>> Not necessary the seq=0, as it can be multichannel output, but in this case
>> -- yes.
>>

>>> I hope I'm not bothering you with my questions, and again thanks
>>> a lot for all your work, patience, and help!
>>

>> Unfortunately I am almost run out of ideas. Neither Linux nor audio/oss
>> seems have specific code for your system. That makes me think that problem
>> is in some different basic assumptions in the drivers. But that doesn't give
>> any hint to find it out.
>>
>> You may try to play with setting different levels of ivref/ovref voltages
>> via hint.hdaa.0.config tunable. I haven't even seen it affecting power
>> amplifier, but who knows...
>
> Thank you, Alexander! :)
>
> In fact, this netbook works very fine with audio/oss from ports.
> My only problem with audio/oss is that whenever I skip (seek) in a
> video or an audio file, freebsd crashes and reboots.
>
> I know it's a problem with mplayer + oss, because, mplayer
> with snd_hda works (except speaker) and oss + vlc works
>
> But I like mplayer more than vlc ;)

I don't have plans to support audio/oss, but I would be interested to
diagnose this issue with snd_hda. Unfortunately, I am not sure what else
can I do now without access to the hardware for low-level debugging. If
somebody with the same netbook and the same problem appears at MeetBSD
California or otherwise in San Jose in following days, I would be glad
to look. Other problematic sound hardware is also welcome.

--
Alexander Motin