Problem with libpng + Mozilla applications on FreeBSD 8.3

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 28 00:23:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 05:47:46 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:

> >> The problem is not Mozilla-specific. I built Opera web browser from
> >> ports, and that too has images missing from its buttons.
> >
> > It seems that the problem is in some dependency, not the "top port"
> > itself. This usually indicates that something in /usr/local is
> > dangerously out of sync, and in most cases, "wide re-installs"
> > solve such kind of problem.
> >

> >> Looks like I am going to have to contend with being less "image-inative"
> >> in the coming days.
> >
> > You just need to imagine the images. :-)
>

> Hello Poly,
>
> > "wide re-installs"
>
> Consider me a newbie here. How do I do wide-reinstall ?

That's nowhere a correct terminus technicus or established word.
It just means that, for example, if you update one small library
that is incorporated by a dependency of a dependency of a library
part of Gtk, you need to recompile everything in relation to Gtk,
all Gtk programs, libraries and dependencies.

Manually tracing down the dependency could be possible, and maybe
"manual overrides" with symlinks and libmap.conf can work, but
if you update something here, in conclusion something there, it
could lead to even more trouble, forcing you to do much more
updates than you are willing to perform.

> I don't mind
> pulling in and building a few more ports as long as it is not the whole
> GNOME2 metaport.

It could very well be the whole Gnome 2 metaport. :-(

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany