a metric for number of users

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Oct 18 18:17:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:57:49PM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> > Is there some way I could get the number of unique IPs hitting FreeBSD
> > servers for software updates?  I'm curious about the direct comparison of
> > numbers between FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Fedora, and SUSE for this metric.
>
> You could ask for this, but beware of drawing wrong conclusions. Where I'm
> currently working, we're fetching sources, ports and distfiles only
> once, rebuild, test, and then mirror internally to a couple of 10k
> machines. And I'm sure we're not alone doing this: it's certainly not
> such an uncommon scenario out there.

I'm familiar with the problems of trying to accurately measure users.  I
just want a kind of ballpark comparison of some metrics between different
systems, even if the way the numbers hash out make direct comparisons
wildly inaccurate, to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'm not sure who I'd ask, by the way.  That's part of the problem.