Problems with the LSI 9211-8i or LSI SAS2008 chips?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Thu Oct 18 15:11:29 UTC 2012

I am working with some folks on this list on a ZFS problem where I am
using LSI 9211-8i boards flashed to IT, which use the LSI SAS2008 chips
(I own about ten of these boards). I have used various versions of BIOS
and firmware from LSI in these boards and presently using LSI's most
recent. The 2008 chips are listed as supported in the driver and I have
also used Supermicro boards with these chips.

mps0: <LSI SAS2008> port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem
0xfe93c000-0xfe93ffff,0xfe940000-0xfe97ffff irq 32 at device 0.0 on pci3
mps0: Firmware: 14.00.00.00, Driver: 14.00.00.01-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities:
1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>

In the debugging process the question arose related to chip revisions,
firmware revisions, and folks general opinion about the 9211-8i  /or/
recommendation of something better for a ZFS HBA. We /do not/ know if
the problem experienced is this board/chip/firmware, rather we're simply
asking questions about them.

Opinions? Experiences?