pppoe configuration and dns name resolution

Jack jacks.1785 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:38:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Mark Blackman <mark at exonetric.com> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2012, at 16:08, Jack <jacks.1785 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm new as a FreeBSD user, and trying to configure my
>> pppoe connection.
>
> [snip]
>

>> fxp0 is the ethernet interface of my PC via which adsl modem is connected.
>>
>> Any suggestions  ...
>
> Consider using the ports mpd5 daemon for a PPPoE connection instead.
> I had a lot of trouble getting PPPoE to work with userland 'ppp', but
> mpd5 worked fine.
>
> - Mark

I 'll try mpd5. Thanks.

Actually, I was concerned with userland ppp, becoz of the
scenarios where we have a FreeBSD machine and the only
 way to connect to internet is an adsl modem in bridge mode
(assuming the mode in modem, can't be  changed).
In such case the only utilty is ppp, which can be of help.

I'm using FreeBSD 9.1 RC-2.

Regards
--
Jack