Graphiz broke because of swig

Joseph a Nagy Jr jnagyjr1978 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 22:15:03 UTC 2012

On 10/14/2012 12:13 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:37:47 -0500, Joseph a Nagy Jr wrote:
>> I was installing my system earlier (dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS/FreeBSD
>> 9.0; Ubuntu was already present) and while installing subversion, one of
>> the many co-dependencies of the many programs that were being installed
>> was graphviz. Apparently I selected some support options relating to
>> swig that broke the compile of graphiz (and therefore everything else).
>> Is there a way to remedy this?
>
> You can reconfigure the port (and its dependencies, in case you
> don't exactly know in which port the problem occured) by doing:
>
> 	# cd /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz/
> 	# make clean
> 	# make rmconfig-recursive
> 	# make config-recursive
> 		... now process all config screens as needed ...
> 	# make install
>
> In case something stops on the way, investigate _there_. It may
> be possible that you need a "make deinstall && make reinstall"
> step, depending in what currently is installed on your system.

Thanks, I hate seeming like a noob but its been a while since I've had
to get under the hood, so to speak.

> Note that using port management tools might be an easier approach
> here, but utilizing the power of "bare bone ports" could lead to
> better diagnostic messages.

I was just following the handbook's suggestion of installing subversion
(which on a bare system led to hours of compilations that broke because
I didn't know swig was a program to handle what I was optioning in for
graphviz or that it was broken and not used).

> Anyway, always consult /usr/ports/UPDATING for news. You would
> (for example) find something like this:
>
> 20080507:
>   AFFECTS: Perl interface users of audio/gramofile
>   AUTHOR: rafan at FreeBSD.org
>
>   Perl support is removed due to devel/swig11 removal in ports.  If you use
>   the Perl interface, you are encouraged to use the new Audio::Gramofile
>   found on CPAN (contact me for the ports).
>
> Note that this is a quite old message, quoted as an example only
> because it relates to swig.

Thanks, I'll definitely do so next time. (:

>> I'd rather not reinstall the entire
>> system. Thanks.
>
> The system is managed independently from the installed software,
> so actually don't fear: no need to do this.

Haha, you have no idea what sort of troubles I sometimes cause for
myself in this regard. ;) When I muck something up, I muck it up good!
--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org